Pull Together for the Ronald McDonald House
An easy way to help the Orange County Ronald McDonald House is to collecting pop tabs for recycling. It's a great fundraising project for scout troops, civic groups, schools, and churches. Since our collection drive started in 1998, we have raised over $77,000 from recycling pop tabs. The money earned (100 percent of it) goes to offset the costs of running the Orange County Ronald McDonald House.
4 Easy Steps to Collect Pop Tabs
1. Ask students/co-workers to save pop tabs from their aluminum beverage cans in a baggie, coffee can, or other small container. Please do not bring tabs from cans that are not alumunim. To test, place a magnet near the tab in question. Aluminum is not magnetic. Please do not collect your pop tabs in containers with small openings such as milk jugs and two liter bottles; it makes taking them out difficult!
2. Designate a large container in your school/office as the collection point.
3. Display a poster in your school/business/organization to get people excited about collecting pop tabs.
4. Purchase small or large collection House at the Orange County Ronald McDonald House.
- 5 small collection Houses free; 25¢ for each additional small collection House. These pint-sized containers hold about 850 pop tabs.
- 2 large collection Houses free; $1.50 for each additional large collection House. These containers hold about 15-20 pounds of pop tabs.
Drop off Tabs: Tabs may be taken to your local recycling center and have the check made out to Orange County Ronald McDonald House.
Please mail checks to:
Orange County Ronald McDonald House
c/o Pop Tab Program
383 South Batavia Street
Orange, California 92868
Please include your name, school, or organization name and contact information when mailing the check. Tabs may be dropped off at the Ronald McDonald House 24 hours a day; 7 days a week. We have a collection bin in front of our House for your convenience.
Fun Pop Tab Facts!
What is a Pop Tab?
A pop tab is the piece of metal that opens aluminum cans. Like the can, the pop tab is recyclable. It is a small piece, yet a refundable piece.
Why pop tabs and not the whole can?
Pop tabs are high quality, pure aluminum and are more valuable than the can, which is a combination of aluminum and other alloys. Tabs are easier to store and less messy than saving the whole can. We also recognize that other organizations use aluminum recycling as a way to raise money. All we want is the tab, so you can continue donating to more than one organization through your recycling.
Why collect Pop Tabs?
All the collections add up to make a heartfelt impact in working together to provide a home-away-from-home for families during the medical treatment of their seriously ill children. Pop tabs are an easy way to recycle and help others and it is a task that people of all ages can do. These small pieces are a source of charitable revenue for the Ronald McDonald House. The amount of money received is determined by the weight of aluminum collected. Saving the tab is a simple and clean way of recycling for the House and it only takes a second. The dollars raised are used for operations and supplies for the Ronald McDonald House. Money received is not credited toward any medical treatment.
- 1 pop tab is approximately one inch long
- 1 pound = 1,267 tabs
- 1 pound of aluminum can be sold for approximately 45-60¢
In 2011, we raised $5,682 through our pop tab program. We are so excited about our increase in participation. Please help us try for another great year!
If you have any questions, please call (714) 639-3600 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.